Day 9, which was a Wednesday, started off bright and early with Solomon and his 'handlanger' already waiting at the gate when we opened at 8am. Today was the day that the roof was going on, and I was terribly excited! Solomon got straight to the point and started measuring the length to which the IBR sheets must be cut.
While he was waiting for his handlanger, who was cutting the IBR sheets, Solomon started on the nest boxes for the girls. I've got 6 hens, so I was only building these 5 nest boxes, which would have a little roof on them, as I already had some loose standing nest boxes which some of them loved and I wasn't sure whether they would actually use the new nest boxes or not (And at the end of the day I was right - the other nest boxes are always fully occupied and these 5 mostly go unused!)
Just as Solomon finished building the little nest boxes, the roofing sheets were also ready and by end of day the roof was on! I brought out coffee and cookies for everybody and we all celebrated this event while chatting what the next move was for tomorrow.
Day 10 - Thursday also kicked off bright and early (I mention this often as it is a rare event! lol!) and Solomon got ready for the plastering job. I always look forward to this, as it somehow gives the whole job a sense of reality and progress, meaning the move for the girls was getting close!
I love watching the plastering process and after a while I asked Solomon if I could have a go at it, after waching carefully how he 'throws and slaps' the plaster into place with such apparent ease. First of all, he had to hold the trough containing the plaster mix for me, it was quite a weight! After three attempts, I had managed to dislodge all Solomon's plaster he had done up to that point and although he smiled, I had the feeling he wasn't that pleased with me! I gave up with a sigh, leaving the job to the experts!
Day 11, Friday, the outside plastering started. Whoot whoot! It was all coming together!
The week ended with a big bang with the plastering being completed by 4pm on Friday afternoon, leaving the whole weekend for the plaster to dry properly so that painting could commence on Monday. Wow! I was totally thrilled and we once again celebrated with coffee and cookies (and paying the weekly wages!)
Next - Episode 6 - Days 12 - 15